Noor Muqaddam Case! A terrible tragedy but will we learn from it
I had not written earlier because it was a very tragic incident and I knew that her parents must be in grief and as I would like to give a comprehensive picture might get hurt.
Then I refrained because the details were not clear and It is under trial.
However, after I heard press conference of owner of Therapy Works I want to just point out principles.
Who can do this?
I am not writing about him as a Psychiatrist as I have not interviewed the person. If someone has told me the details which I came to know from the social and print media, without naming him I would say we are dealing with an antisocial person who is an addict and has anger issues.
Such like person could be very dangerous because they lack remorse and do not learn. The manner in which he killed and then kicked the head also point towards the same.
The way he did all this proves he was not insane which he tried to portray after he was caught. The person who was associated with him and his family also said this in conference, though he is just a Counseler and not a Psychiatrist or Psychotherapist (though he claims to be).
Without interviewing all sides it will be difficult to comment on this aspect as there is lot of information which is probably not available.
However, leaving this information aside such like persons only act on their Id, have a very narcissistic view of themselves, have very fragile ego, and non existent superego.
They get paranoid easily and are very jealous and possessive in their relationship and as they are callous and lack remorse and inhibitions they can do heinous crimes. Here, one more point is that it seems their family used to protect him in past also and being filthy rich thought he had notion that he is beyond the clutches of law.
How victim could have been protected?
I always warn my female students to be vary of such males. Many of the girls get trapped with them due to the superficial charm.
Remember they are wearing a beautiful mask but inside is a very cruel personality though there must be many environmental factors which scarred them apart from genes. Girls should never come into their charm and should also not try to reform or transform them.
There are so many people like him roaming freely in our society. Be aware of them, see across their superficial charm. The combination of psychopathy, narcissism, paranoia, anger issues or explosive personality with use of drugs is very dangerous. Never and I repeat never be affiliated with such persons and never try to reform them by becoming their girl friend or spouse.
I did not wrote mainly because of this issue. We cannot absolve parents of both side. The parents of one reinforced the psychopathy by providing him their financial support and influence. They in fact abetted the crime by not calling the Police earlier.
The parents of other did not refrained her from this dangerous liaison. There are so many aspects in this but would refrain myself because I do not want to hurt anyone and also because I want to cover all aspects of this case.
Role of Pakistan Psychological Association and government
There is no regulatory body of Clinical Psychologists and Counselers. The motivators, mind sciences people, people qualified in hypnosis and NLP they all have become psychotherapists. Psychotherapy is a specialised field and can only be done by Clinical Psychologists and Psychiatrists under a regulatory body.
Psychiatrists are regulated by PMC and CPSP but for Psychologists there is no such body. All psychologists should not be allowed to do Psychotherapy.
They have to do diploma/PhD in Clinical Psychology (not other disciplines of psychology), and then specialise in the discipline of psychotherapy to qualify for psychotherapy.
The government has remained blind towards this problem and thus there is mushrooming of amateur and non professional psychotherapist doing therapy in their clinics and online. This is quackery.
Role of Therapy Works
Coming to Therapy works:
1. The very Name Therapy Works is incorrect. They provide Counseler services. Psychotherapy is done by Clinical Psycholigist and Psychiatrist, not by Counseler. Counseling is provided to those who already have resources to deal with a problem but could not use them as problem overwhelm them or they are confused. Counseling is for healthy people.
2. The way they select people and give them Counseler certificate is incorrect. They should not have provided the certificate knowing his past. He was deported from UK on anger issue. He was also an addict and they know after getting this certificate he would be dealing with children and vulnerable people. The owner is justifying giving certificates to addicts and people with gross anger issues by saying that drugs and these issues are a norm and so common that it can be given to anyone.
3. They had no right to go to the house for intervention. This has to be done by Police or Rescue team.
5. They risked the life of the staff and one person got injured.
6. They should have immediately informed the Police when receiving call from parents and again not waited there when they knew he is an addict and has anger issues.
7. The statement is contradictory. He is saying they were not trained to intervene (though illegal) such violent patients. The psychiatric patient can use firearms and then say we are capable of sending a team and doing intervention.
8. He is trying to use the name of Forces to give credence to his institute which is completely incorrect.
9. The authentication of the Counseling certificate should also be considered. The selection criteria and limitation of the Counseling service should also be ascertained and regulated.
10. This institute is very controversial about the ethical and moral values and the environment of the institute and the selection criteria.
11. In my opinion this and such like institutes are doing more harm then good. They are not being regulated and they do interventions in which they are not trained and not qualified enough to carry out. They should all be closed forthwith and then opened with registration, monitoring and regulation.
Addiction Centres and apathy of government
There is mushrooming of such centres. Most of them are commercial. There is a spectrum with many of them not equipped to treat such patients to those who are immoral, corrupt, criminals.
Programs have been aired on this subject. They are run by motivators, Counselers, or just totally psychologically ignorant people. Few are run by those who have done certificate course in addiction.
The people who abuse drugs have personality issues and co-morbid psychiatric disorders but these centres do not keep Psychiatrist or just put their name in their panel or call them on required basis.
The centre is not supervised by a Psychiatrist. The Psychiatrist is the proper person to supervise such centres and this should be mandatory. CPSP should also take a lead and start training in addiction as a sub specialty of Psychiatry.
Government and health authorities of province and federation should register them, regulate them, and monitor their activities.
Role of guards and servants
The security agencies do not train their personnel in any aspect. They are not trained regularly how to operate and maintain arms and ammunition.
They are not trained to handle such situations. If there is danger to life of any person in front of them they should be able to handle without jeopardising their own life.
They cannot help the criminal by not protecting the victim and handing her to the criminal. The guards and the owner of security agency should also be tried in court.
The government should regulate the security agencies also, force them to train their person whose record should be shared with government. Laws should be made or amended so that they operate in a better manner.
Role of government
We gave seen the government has completely failed to provide awareness, regulate these institutes and centres, to monitor them and to make policy on such matters. It has failed to curb narcotics.
The drug lords are free to operate. Only the petty carriers are caught and we do not know what happen to them. Availability of drugs from cannabis to heroin and ice is such that any person can purchase it. They are sold openly and in fact with the connivance of law enforcing agencies. Anti Narcotic Force is putting in efforts but has not come up to the expectations.
This menace has reached academic institutes in the form of epidemic and government has shown complete apathy. The role of government is pathetic.
Role of Society
The society is losing the ethical and moral values and deteriorating in all aspects. They have accepted corruption, violence, rape, drugs, porn, inappropriate sexual practices. The society has become intolerant towards each other with lack of civilised behaviour even in public.
They do not follow law, even their parents are poor in role modelling and are abettors in breaking law. The families are raising their children without any rules or boundaries. The role of school is from bystander to an abettor in all these crimes. They have become commercial institutes to grab money but play no role in raising up students, character making, do not provide or role model values and morals.
We have gone away from Islamic aloes and it’s principles. We love Allah and Prophet but do not practice what they have told us to do. We do not consider breaking law as violating Islamic Principles.
Please wake up with all these events occurring around us. Keep steadfast with Islamic Principles and obey law. Government to kindly monitor and regulate the educational institutes whether government, public, elite or Madrasahs.
Society and families should teach their children to be good Muslims, to practice these values and law, raise them (before marriage learn about the responsibilities of marriage and before producing children learn how to raise them) with love, care and discipline. Teach them to be good citizens. Teach them to behave with women nicely in non violent manner. Role model so that they facilitate people around them and be kind to them.
Due to constrain I could not include or elaborate all aspects for which I apologise. – PUNA